Thursday, November 1, 2012

Free Mason Jar Cozy Pattern

Remember when we started this blog and we said that we were going to make cozies for everything? Well...we did.  Crochet hook cozies, soda can cozies, iPod cozies, all kinds of cozies.  Cozies for everyone! That's our motto around these parts. 

After all this hoopla about green smoothies, I thought I'd give a mason jar cozy a whirl and this is what I came up with. Feel free to leave comments with questions. This is the first pattern that I've actually written out.  We'll see how it goes. :)

The Mason Jar Cozy Pattern:



This pattern is for a 32 ounce (quart)  jar.

Materials:
G hook
Medium Weight Acrylic yarn. I used Red Heart With Love in Pewter.  

CH: Chain
SC: Single Crochet
HDC: Half Double Crochet
SS: Slip Stitch

Cozy bottom.  HA! Get it?

Chain 2.
Row 1:  In first chain, do 12 DC.  SS to first DC.  (12)
Row 2: CH 3 (does NOT count as a DC here and throughout pattern), 2 DC in same stitch, and 2 DC in each stitch around.  SS to first DC. (24)
Row 3: CH 3, 2 DC in same stitch, 1 DC in next stitch.  2 DC in next stitch, 1 DC in next stitch all the way around.  SS to first DC.  (36)

Cozy Side.  Don't worry if it looks too small.  It will stretch, the fit should be tight.

Row  4: CH 1, SC in same stitch.  SC in BACK  loop all the way around.  SS to first SC.  This creates your ridge at the bottom.  (36)

You will now be creating the upper part of the cozy, using HDC.  This part is crocheted around, there is no joining from row to row.  I went until I thought it was tall enough.  It ended up being about 13 rows, or 468 stitches.  Or you can eyeball it.  Whatever floats your boat!

Row 5-18: HDC  until round 18 or until your cozy is the height you want it.  Sometimes it's handy to keep the jar nearby so you can try it on.  SS to next stitch.

Row 19: Shell border.  Chain 3, do 3 DC in same stitch.  Skip next stitch.  SS in next Stitch.  *4 DC in next stitch.  Skip next stitch.  SS in next Stitch.*  Repeat * to * until all the way around.  End with SS to bottom of first CH 3.  Tie off and weave in ends.

And there you have it!   You can make it short or tall, put appliques or flowers on it.  Sky's the limit!  If you find that your cozy is too big or too small, a simple hook size up or down will solve that problem. I have learned to try the cozy on the jar before I'm all the way finished.  Just to be safe.

© KamiCrochets 2012


12 comments:

Marybeth said...

I'm going to give it a try and I will let you know.

kamcicle said...

Thank you! I'd love any feedback!

Crisses said...

This pattern worked with worsted weight cotton as well. Very nice! Thank you.

kamcicle said...

thank you for leaving a comment crisses! i'm glad to hear that it worked! that kind of stuff freaks a pattern writer out!

Christy said...

Very pretty and I love the scalloped top. Adding it to my 'to do' list - at the top!! Thanks for sharing your pattern! :-)

BoochaBaby said...

I just found this when looking for a cozie pattern. Are there certain adjustments to make for this to fit a 24 ounce (pint and 1/2) jar? I'm new to crochet/knitting so do not know how to figure this for myself. Thanks for the help, and the pattern!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking everywhere forr a quart size pattern for mason Jar cozies! I found green mason Jars on sale and wanted to fill them with Christmas candy and I found. Orament patterns to tye on but was still filling like it would be just Hohum! Thank you so much for sharing this pattern it is Beautful!

Anonymous said...

Is there a patteren for the 16oz jars?

Becky said...

Just finished this pattern. Love it! It was easy and fast to complete!

Unknown said...

Will these cozies protect your wood tables from the water perspiration off the glasses? My grandmothers did but I'm not sure what type of yarn she used. It looks like cotton. Anyone know?

Unknown said...

Will these cozies protect your wood tables from the water perspiration off the glasses? My grandmothers did but I'm not sure what type of yarn she used. It looks like cotton. Anyone know?

Unknown said...

Do you make videos?