Friday, November 19, 2010

lightin' the night yo's!

before i tell you all about the 'light the night' project, just a small taste of what kinds of conversations happen between shannon and i when we get excited. like, super duper, crap in your pants, excited.

basically, it goes down something like this:

kami: (or shannon, depending on who found the cuteness): check this out!
shannon: oh my I LOVE THEM ALL!
kami: I know right? I gasped out loud. You could do a bunch of *insert rambling of incoherent ideas here*…..
shannon: holy CRAP! Now I gasped out loud! I think I'm going to faint.
kami: easy as pie.
shannon: Mother effing trucker, it's genius!
kami: I'm going to die.
shannon: like magic! Oh my gosh that would be so cute I can hardly stand it.
kami: I think my blood pressure just went up.

and so on and so forth. all the great ideas happen like this, and then it's like the creativity spews out. i say spew because sometimes we don't think before trying a project and it turns out to not be such a great idea. like my picture frame crochet cozy. i'm still not pleased with it. and we have yet to find a willing participant who will let us try out the testicle receptacle. although, if you're interested...please let us know....

back to spewing cuteness. i saw a post on somewhere (i sure can't remember) by a young lady who spelled out words with yarn on some baskets and then used them to organize stuff.

it. is. darling. it's so cute, and so easy. however, i'm too cheap to buy the good thick yarn so i had to come up with a different idea. and had to come up with a project in which i needed to write words out of yarn.... i can't believe i just said that.

this is where 'light the night' comes into play. my cute sister headed up the annual 'light the night' event in sugarhouse park this year. if you haven't checked it out, it's a super cool event.

i wanted to come up with a cool (homemade=cheap) gift for her to put in her office to commemorate the event, and to let her know that all her hard work didn't go unnoticed.

so i got to thinking. what does this event entail? walking....donating money....balloons....BALLOONS!

and then i had an epiphany. i wondered if anyone had ever crocheted a balloon. of course, i knew someone had to, and they did! i found this super easy pattern here and got to work.



now, isn't that the cutest thing you've ever seen? i originally did a white, gold, and red balloon but the piece of wood that i picked up didn't accommodate all three. so red it was, because that's light the nights' main color. i decided i wanted the balloon's tail to spell out "light the night."

i wonder how many times i can say "light the night" int his post? someone count for me.

after several attempts, this is what i came up with. it's the first writing-words-in-yarn attempt for me, and from far away, it kind of looks like a pre-schooler wrote it, but if you look up close, you can see the cool texture (the "rope" is just a single crocheted chain) and of course, the adorable balloon. with a bow. everything looks cuter with a bow.

can you tell i'm in love with the balloon?

here's a close up in case you couldn't tell:

3 comments:

Tonya said...

freaking adorable! love it!

Unknown said...

I totally did just faint. In my heart, where it counts.

kamcicle said...

haha, it's so cute. and now i can do it even better!! anyone need crap with crocheted words on it? cuz i'm a pro now!