Friday, August 13, 2010

Buffy=Productivity

It's amazing what a little Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the original movie of course) and The Lost Boys can do for your cool-chet productivity! Kami and I got together the last couple of nights for some not lame cool-cheting and boy did we get a lot done. On Wednesday night I finished Jeff's blanket...FINALLY! I'm so excited to bring it to him and he already promised to proudly display it on his bed. This puppy was a whole other level of crochet for me. I learned a lot of new techniques (I should say new to me) and made plenty of mistakes. Luckily the pattern is extremely forgiving so you can hardly tell. In fact, the closeup below is showing one of the squares with the most errors. oops. It's a testiment to my rockin' photography skills. Fujifilm point and shoot fo'evah! I figured I would double the pattern since it was originally for an afghan, but I think I ended up closer to tripling. This sucker is huge and heavey. Perfect for a dude. Without further ado, for your viewing pleasure I present....dun dun duuuuun...The Manly Blanket.


Red Heart's Starbright Afghan from
J27-0004 Great Afghans & Throws

With Wednesday night becoming such a success it really got me pumped to start some new projects. After the blanket was finished we started making flowers. Then Thursday night we got together to figure out what to do with them. Kami worked on a super cute project, but I won't ruin the surprise. Once it's done you're going to flip, so darling. I decided to make mine into a headband. Let me first say that I realize this flower is huge. Ok, more like HUGE. But how fun is it to have a statement headband?! I mean really. I found the greatest technique for making cheap headbands that actually fit! Of course I can't find the post I found before, but here's one that's exactly the same except for the ties. I didn't do the ties on the back but I think I like them. Maybe I'll see if I can go back and add some to this guy.

pay no attention to the girl with the pointy looking nose

Kami and I started some hook holders that I'm super excited to make. How handy! Also, our good friend Kjcheristy (KJ) had come by to share in our crafty fun. She does a lot of scrapbooking so she asked if I could make a flower to go on a page. (We're planning on recruiting her to the world of cool-chet) I was like SURE. Now at this point it was getting late-ish. {You could tell because I had yarn everywhere and I started like three things at once at the same time as I was nodding off.} I mean I have all kinds of experience with the one huge flower I've made ever. So I messed around and came up with a little something to add. Then she mentioned a chain to frame the picture would be cute too so I whipped that sucker out. A little hot glue and Ta Da! This is a whole new avenue I hadn't thought about. Scrapbook embellishments! Those things cost a shiz load at the store and I just made this sucker for free. And it looks good to boot.

I have one more bit of important business to attend to. I just got the Lion Brand newsletter for fall and they have all kinds of new goodies! Some adorable tweed stripy yarn, baby wool, Merino Cashmire and new colors of old faves. Check out the goods here! I insist.

-Shannon

No comments: